Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Knitting!

Aw, I wish I had a better title for this post. But I HAVE recently gotten back into knitting. I used to knit during English class in high school. This wasn't a problem, because anyone who went to Berkeley High knows that Mr.Powers thought much deeper thoughts than "why is that student knitting while I'm talking?". He was probably thinking something like "man, I wish I was smoking a jay on Annapurna right now... wait, what was I telling these students again?", so he totally didn't mind. In fact, in spite of learning the purl stitch completely wrong, I have a hat that I knit in that class that I still wear and get compliments on today.
Now that I'm in graduate school with an adviser who loves hearing about the Big Picture, it has become nicely soothing to come home at night and follow straightforward and unambiguous instructions, be detail oriented and end up with something that looks like the picture. My latest project is a baby blanket for my friend's new son. It's a very simple pattern - just stockinette and a pattern in the opposite stitch, but it's big and I'm slow so it's taken a long time (baby Jonah is already three months old...) But now I only have ten more rows! Then it's on to something more challenging like learning cable patterns and lace stitches.

No comments: