Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cannelini beans < 3 chard

It's been quite a while since I posted. Maybe I was getting over the fact that for 23 years - TWENTY THREE - I didn't know that white beans go with chard like chocolate goes with peanuts. Oooor perhaps I was just really busy with a defective cat and research and getting my life back to normal after the holidays.

ANYWAY, did I mention that chard goes with white beans (AKA white kidney beans AKA cannelini beans) really well? The first hint of it was a recipe I found the The Vegetarian Cook's Bible but now I'm noticing that they're all over the place like that annoying couple still in the honeymoon phase.

This is my version of the original recipe.

Garlicy White Beans and Chard Pasta

Several cloves of garlic, depending on your taste
4 oz Oil packed sun-dried tomatoes (half a jar)
1 can white kidney beans (or about 1 1/2 cups cooked if you like to make your own beans)
1 bunch chard
your preferred pasta - I like whole wheat spaghetti
salt, pepper and parmesan cheese to taste

Mince the garlic, chop the sun-dried tomatoes, wash and coarsely tear the chard, discarding any tough stems. Start water for the pasta and cook the pasta when you get a rolling boil. Sautee the garlic and tomatoes in the oil from the tomatoes, or olive oil. After about 5 minutes, add the beans. Beans from the can can get a little mushy. I think the ideal way would be to rinse and drain them really well and then fry them in the cooking oil to get them a little crispy on the outside... about another five or seven minutes depending on how hot your pan is. Add a few tablespoons of the pasta water to the pan and add the chard. Cook, covered, until the chard is tender. Add the cooked pasta and stir to combine over heat. Dish yourself up some and add salt, pepper and grated parmesan cheese to your heart's desire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will put this on the menu for next week - sounds good. Any intestinal repercussions? Not that we are unfamiliar with that . . . ma

Unknown said...

no, the white beans seem to be pretty easy on the stomach.