Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Favorite Thing to Cook (and Eat!)

My friend was on Reddit.com and ran across a guy who says his wife doesn't like steak or seafood and asked me "who would marry someone who doesn't like good food?". Good question, though there are plenty of people who don't eat seafood and meat (*ahem* vegetarians *ahem*) and some people might say that there is no good vegetarian food but I would disagree strongly.

Here's an awesome vegetarian recipe that I make at least once a month, and if my future spouse doesn't like broccoli or kale well... there will be problems.

Garlicy Roasted Broccolini and Kale

One bunch of broccolini (aka rapini or broccoli rabe) tough ends cut off, cut in half crosswise
One bunch of kale (I prefer lacinato, an heirloom variety) tough stems removed, cut in roughly one inch squares
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed and minced (1 teaspoon garlic powder works in a pinch but is generally recognized as kitchen blasphemy)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon (optional, I use amazing meyer lemons that my parents send up from their garden)
1 tablespoon chopped capers (optional)
1 teaspoon champagne vinegar (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss all ingredients in a bowl to coat, spread onto a foil-lined baking sheet and roast for about ten minutes or until kale is tender and rapini florets begin to singe. Devour.

I ran across a dish like this in a neighborhood whiskey bar which will remain unnamed and tried it - not to be vain, but I think I do a better job (i.e. theirs was too oily and over-salted). Broccoli is notoriously hard to pair with wine though, so why not try a little whiskey instead? ;)

No comments: